Classrooms are no longer confined within four walls. Thanks to the digital world for giving us the freedom to learn from anywhere in the world. If you are a student, a working professional, a homemaker, or even retired, you have the liberty to learn anything without being judged. This article will help you discover the 10 best online education apps that you can use in 2021 from the comfort of your home.
Here, we have a mix of both free and paid applications to learn from. At the end of the day, it is your choice to choose the method that is convenient for you.
YouTube is a platform to both create and consume. There are millions of creators on the platform trying to share their knowledge for free. If you want to learn something for free, then YouTube should be your first choice.
According to a new research study by PEW, about 51% of YouTube users utilize the platform to learn new things.
- The contents are free.
- There are millions of options to choose from. You can decide from who you want to learn from.
- It is easy to use. No extra registrations are required.
- There are too many distractions.
- Much of the content created is not legit. You will not get individual attention to guide you through the process of learning.
Skillshare is an American educational platform that focuses on interaction more than regular classes. You will find certain courses for free. The courses that are not available for free can be accessed through a subscription. Apart from lessons, you will be provided with various actionable resources like workbooks, guides, and cheat sheets.
- You can learn from a bunch of highly skilled professionals.
- They offer a free trial for 1 month. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Some courses are very basic.
Coursera is the leading online platform providing courses from top universities around the world. All kinds of fields are covered and can be booked by paying a certain fee. Not only do you learn from professionals, but you also get certificates of completion from renowned universities around the world.
- You have access to world-class education providers.
- Coursera offers financial help to students who deserve it.
- The courses are quite expensive.
The world now revolves around coding. TYNKER is an online coding platform that is exclusively crafted for kids from age 5-18. When you subscribe to their plan, you will get customized one-on-one tutoring facilities. Besides tutoring, they also offer live chat support and dozens of resources to keep students engaged.
- Students will get personalized guidance.
- The courses are very interactive.
- The lesson plans are very basic and expensive.
Udemy gives access to hundreds of courses for free!! Yes…You read that right! Despite having a paid subscription plan, they offer high-quality bite-sized courses for free. You will have the liberty to choose from the instructors you want to learn from and get started. As of April 2021, Udemy has about 40 million students.
- There are 480 million courses to choose from.
- You can only pay for the course you want to learn.
- All the instructors are not professionals. Anyone can create a course on Udemy.
edX is the best platform if you’re looking for a professional degree to land your dream job. They have numerous Masters and Ph.D. programs from reputed universities like Harvard and MIT.
- You can learn from top universities right from where you live.
- They conduct entrance examinations to enroll for the course.
Duolingo is great if you want to learn new languages. There are more than 500 million learners on Duolingo who are working to learn a new language.
- There are courses for 50+ languages.
- The courses are mostly basic and most of them are taught in English.
Khan academy offers educational content for all ages. Almost all their content is free and easy to access. Apart from content, they provide access to quizzes, workbooks, and cheat sheets. You will also get personalized feedback from educators to help you improve.
- You’ll find courses for your level. There are beginner, moderate, and advanced level courses.
- Most courses are taught by the same person. If you are not satisfied with his teaching style, you will find it difficult to fit in.
Google Play Books
Google Play Books is a digital library with millions of books on various genres. You will find various educational books from different streams. The app is free to install but some books are paid.
- The books are easy to access and are cheap compared to courses. You get them in both audio and digital formats.
- They suggest books based on your interests.
- All the books are not available for free.
Quizlet is one of the best platforms to learn new languages. Apart from languages, you can also learn other subjects. The application is free to install and use. They also provide other free resources like flashcards and worksheets.
- They offer millions of quizzes to practice.
- There are courses available in 15+ languages.
- There are a lot of ads in the application which may hinder the learner’s experience.
“Online learning is rapidly becoming one of the most cost-effective ways to educate the world’s rapidly expanding workforce“
– Jack Messman.
With that said, let me remind you that the internet is the magic tool to learn anything you want. Pick a platform that suits you and start learning without a second thought.
All the best!!!